Header Ads

Decoupage Rising Sun


My hood looked terrible after flying up on me last summer and my rattle can spray job. My buddy Terry gave me the idea of sticker bombing or decoupaging my hood as he did on his 240SX. So I was like frig ya lets do er so that's what I did. Decided to go a bit more than just going at er and doing the whole hood, so.. we did it in the shape of the Rising Sun.

How it looked to begin with

Off Mimi and I went to Chapters to find a manga, we chose One Piece as the culprit for $17.84. We then went to Canadian tire to get some adhesive spray so we can stick the paper to the hood and two cans of clear for $33.78.



Got home, took the hood off with the 4 14MM bolts that attaches the hood to the hinges and on to the kitchen table it went. Figured out where i wanted the main circle to be and used a piece of spring attached to a pencil to evenly make a perfect circle. 

Took a ruler and marked what i found to be an even amount of 2 1/4'' around the whole circle to make the beams and finally used a ruler to mark them all the way out to the edges. I then used painters tape (which didn't do well for my actual paint as you'll see) to mask off the lines and areas that were not being covered.



Looked pretty sweet with just the tape on the hood.


 The next day after work I then started to somewhat read through this comic and found some of the more exciting scenes and funny dialogue to use. Laid all that out to see approximately how much i needed to cover each area.




Started spraying the adhesive down and laying the pieces out and finished that, let it dry for a few hours and then sprayed the clear coat on top. 





Just the clear wasn't really doing it, there was edges lifting and it just wasn't down very well, so i googled and did a little research to see what some other people did and people put some polyurethane over top to harden it up and keep everything down. Off to Canadian Tire to get a couple paint brushes, a 946mL can of polyurethane and a few Redbulls for $26.88. 

I trimmed off all the little edges and corners that were lifting and Mimi and I started to brush on the poly, we did a couple coats for good measure and let it dry for the night. 


We then re clear coated it with the second can and took all the tape off after cutting along with a razor and ruler to make sure all the lines were straight and crisp as possible to help make sure none of the edges come up. 


 As you can see the tape and my paint didn't get along well, there was a few chips before as well.


There was a few spots that the polyurethane seemed through the tape and left residue, but don't think you can see that in these pictures, tried to scrape it off with a new razor but didn't get all of it. I'll eventually be repainting the red again if i keep this hood anyways so wasn't too worried at this time. 

How it looked in the morning after setting over night. 

And a couple shots when I got to work when it was brighter out. 

 Mind how dirty she is


Total cost of this project was $78.50, could of probably been cheaper if you have things laying around already but we didn't but oh well. Make sure to read and follow all labels and have proper ventilation using some products. Guess we'll see how it holds up and hopefully this guide / DIY helps anyone interested in doing similar. 





No comments

Powered by Blogger.