Header Ads

Spec Stage 3 Clutch with Competition Clutch Flywheel for Rb20/25

Late summer 2014 my stock RB20 clutch in my skyline first started to slip, I started looking around and what i could get and came across the Spec Stage 3 clutch on Enjuku Racing as I've ordered from their before when i bought my wheels. Also at that time i decided to get a light weight flywheel to go with it to lighten up the rotational mass on that end and went with the Competition Clutch Steel Flywheel.


The clutch is a 6 puck disk with a sprung hub made of carbon semi-metallic according to their site. For $359US combined with the ultra light weight steel flywheel which weights approximately 11lbs compared to the stock flywheel weight of around 24lbs for $328US, I can't complain.

About to leave on our way out to Ghost Lake

I knew my clutch was just about the end of it's life and we went out to Ghost Lake (30 minutes NW of Calgary) for the day with a group of 40+ people to go drifting around on the ice. As the day went on and how hard i was driving i could slowly feel my stock clutch fading. I left a little earlier than everybody else as it was starting to get dark as this was January 2015. It was baaaaad, i was trying to do my best going down the 1A back to town but it wasn't having it, 5th gear trying to do at least 80km/h, stupid high RPM, Cochrane hill was a nightmare, 2nd gear doing like 30 at 6000RPM, was a good time, by this time a group of people from the lake were catching up. Of course we lived downtown at this time and hit every.single.red.light... and 1st gear to like 5000rpm to start going, lets say i got a lot of looks like first time driving eh bud?? Our parking was also in a parkade, usually parked on the 5th floor, we were lucky enough to get onto the first after the first big ramp up.


On her way to Vex

This is one of the few things I personally didn't do myself, I was living in Calgary for only a couple months and didn't know many people closely yet and didn't have a garage to do it in. Talked to Ryan at Vex Performance a few weeks prior to all this and took it in there before going back to work for a few weeks to get the new drive train installed ~~~



Awesome work done there for a super reasonable price along with other maintenance and tranny and diff fluid changes.

The end of the stock clutch, she was right done.
Back from Vex.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

So now just under 25,000 km's on this set up and it's still holding strong. For what i can remember the recommended break in period was 500 miles, I went about 2500 or so kilometers for my sake before i did anything crazy. For the first 1000 or so km's for being a brand new 6 puck, it was stiff, it was either engaged or not engaged, I've never stalled a car in my life so much, as km's were racked up and it was broken in it wasn't as bad but you still have to have the rpm's somewhat higher than you would with a stock clutch to have a nice engagement and to start accelerating. There was expected chatter as i read and was told about, usually not so bad unless you're going super slow, like stop and go traffic in downtown Calgary during rush hour. In my car the engagement is closer to the bottom of the pedal and it was something to get used to, not a big deal. First drift with a clutch kick had no problems, as smooth as engagement as you'd expect doing one. Same with longer sessions I've never noticed any fade or slippage from heat. It's pretty entertaining watching a few friends try to drive it that drive manual everyday though.

As for the flywheel  I can't say much, more than half the weight from stock, obviously lighter rotational mass which helps faster acceleration, somewhat noticeable difference in rev-ability. It was a decent price and was recommended for street driven naturally aspirated applications running stage 3 and up clutch kits. One piece ring gear for high durability, stamped with 4140 plate with 2000 ton pressure at 1260 degrees CNC machined and balanced to O.E specifications as stated in the description.

I'd probably buy this clutch again to be honest, but when this one dies i have an Exedy Nismo one waiting in the garage waiting to be used. ;)










No comments

Powered by Blogger.